What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Why It Matters in Schools –
Unlocking Tomorrow’s Success
Exploring SEL: What Is It, and Why Does It Matter?
- Have you ever wondered, “What is SEL?” and why should it matter in our schools?
- What if empathy mattered more than grades?
- What if school sports required SEL classes to participate?
- What if detention was replaced with restorative justice practices?
- What if private schools emphasized service and community engagement in admissions?
Empatico believes that learning Social and Emotional (SEL) skills has and will have more impact on a student’s future success than any other achievement they have over their academic careers.
Understanding SEL: Backed by Science
Recent findings from the Yale School of Medicine and decades of data from Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) programs, as supported by CASEL’s research, offer compelling benefits, including:
- Improved Academic Performance: SEL has been linked to better academic outcomes, with students participating in SEL programs achieving 13% increases on grades and standardized test scores.
- Enhanced Emotional Well-Being: SEL equips students with the tools to manage stress and emotions effectively, leading to improved mental health and overall well-being.
- Positive School Climate: SEL fosters a more inclusive and supportive school environment, reducing incidents of bullying and disciplinary problems resulting in fewer disruptions in classrooms and more time spent learning.
- Increased Empathy and Prosocial Behavior: SEL helps students develop empathy and interpersonal skills, promoting kindness and cooperation among peers, key traits for tomorrow’s leaders.
- Life-Ready Skills: Beyond the classroom, SEL equips students with essential life skills such as conflict resolution, decision-making, and effective communication.
For detailed research findings and further insights, you can explore the comprehensive information available on CASEL’s Research.
Reimagining Education with SEL
We know schools aren’t working and in a lot of ways, haven’t for some time. The foundations of our education system were laid in the distant past and are in desperate need of updating to embrace the 21st century skills required for the modern workforce and success in an ever more unpredictable future. Empatico asks the tough questions about what skills are really the most important to be learning in the 21st century and is charting a path to get us there.
Unlocking Tomorrow’s Success with SEL
Now, more than ever, it’s essential to understand, “What is SEL?” and its impact on students’ futures. We believe that fostering 21st-century skills like collaboration, respectful communication, and empathy is key.
Research from the Yale School of Medicine confirms that high-quality SEL programs, such as Empatico, enhance prosocial behaviors, civic engagement, and ethical reasoning for at least six months post-completion. Discover how SEL is shaping the leaders of tomorrow.
Join the SEL Revolution
This is the moment to change education for the better. Explore SEL with Empatico and connect with like-minded educators around the world who are as passionate about it as you.
Explore SEL with Empatico and Transform Education Today!
Join Our Mailing List and Stay Informed about SEL!
If you’re not an educator but want to stay informed about “What is SEL?” and its impact, join our mailing list and be part of the conversation transforming education.