What is World Kindness Day, and why do we celebrate it?
World Kindness Day, observed annually on November 13th, is a global celebration of kindness and compassion. It inspires us to treat each other with empathy, regardless of our differences, and come together to make the world a more thoughtful and caring place.
During World Kindness Day, people are encouraged to perform acts of kindness, both big and small. This can include helping a neighbor, giving a kind compliment to a stranger, or simply spreading positivity through social media. It also provides an opportunity to address important issues like bullying, discrimination, and inequality. The goal is to foster a culture of kindness, in which people treat each other with respect and understanding.
In a world facing conflicts, political polarization, and community divisions, this year’s celebration is more important than ever. It offers hope, and serves as a reminder that even in the face of adversity, kindness can help bridge differences and lead to healing, justice, and unity.
How can my students celebrate World Kindness Day?
The Empatico team believes this important occasion deserves a huge celebration! And so, we invite you to celebrate World Kindness Day all month long with us! Encourage your students to perform acts of kindness directed towards themselves, towards others, and towards the world.
For example, students might:
- Come up with a positive affirmation about one of their strengths or values (e.g., I am a kind friend)
- Write a “thank you” note to someone who has helped them, and deliver the note to them in-person
- Assemble care packages with essential items for people experiencing homelessness
In honor of these efforts, Empatico is searching for the kindest classroom in the USA! To learn more about the Kindness Challenge, review the participation guidelines below.
What are the Kindness Challenge guidelines?
The Empatico team is inviting classrooms in the USA to join the Kindness Challenge! During the Challenge, students can earn points for completing different acts of kindness, helping us identify the kindest classroom in the USA! To participate, qualified educators should follow the guidelines below.
2. Review the Kindness Scorecard, which offers ideas for different acts of kindness, as well as the number of points that will be awarded upon completion for each action. Then, download and distribute the Kindness Tickets to your students.
3. Encourage students to perform as many acts of kindness as they can during the Challenge (October 28 to December 1, 2023). Students should submit a Kindness Ticket to their educator to share details about their acts of kindness. They can write down which action they completed from the Kindness Scorecard, or describe a different action that they came up with.
Each action from the Kindness Scorecard has been assigned a point value, which should be included on the Kindness Ticket. If students came up with their own act of kindness, share their ticket with the Empatico team, and we’ll score it for them!
4. Every day during the Challenge, educators should add up all the points that their students earned that day. Then, they should submit one Kindness Ticket with their class name, school name, date, and the total points earned by the class.
You can email the completed Kindness Ticket to the Empatico team at email@example.com. Or, you can post it on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #WKDchallenge and tag @EmpaticoOrg. Make sure to submit all your Kindness Tickets by Friday at 11:59pm Pacific Time each week during the Challenge!
The Empatico team will keep track of each class’s points and announce five leaders every Monday on our social media!
5. The top five leaders from each week will be entered into a drawing, from which one classroom will be chosen at the end of the Kindness Challenge! The winning classroom will receive a $1,000 donation and 1,000 KIND bars to be used for a class party, with more prizes to follow!
World Kindness Day is an important opportunity to foster values of kindness, compassion, and empathy in your students. Whether your students participate in the Kindness Challenge, or embrace the spirit of this celebration on their own, the impact of their acts of kindness will extend far beyond the classroom. Together, we can help create a more compassionate world, one act of kindness at a time.
The KIND Foundation, Inc.’s Empatico Initiative Kindness Challenge (the “Challenge”)
OFFICIAL RULES (“Official Rules”) NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CHALLENGE. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Entry Period: 10/28/2023 at 12:01AM – 12/1/23 at 11:59 (ET) Open to primary and secondary school classroom educators associated with private and public schools, homeschool networks, after-school programs, and similar entities operating in all 50 US states and DC, for the benefit of each educator’s participating class or group (each a “Class”). Further restrictions apply; see Official Rules.
How to enter: During the Entry Period encourage acts of kindness, tally all points earned each day by your Class per the Kindness Scorecard, and submit one (1) Kindness Ticket, including a Class name, Eligible School name, and the total points earned by the Class for each day by (1) Creating an Empatico account at https://edu.empatico.org/signup AND (2) Following @empaticoorg on Instagram and posting a completed Kindness Ticket, tagging @empaticoorg, and #WKWchallenge OR Following @empaticoorg on Facebook and posting a photo of a completed Kindness Ticket, tagging @empaticoorg, and #WKWchallenge; OR Emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org a photo of a completed Kindness Ticket. Top 5 Scorers for each week of the Challenge will be posted at https://empatico.org/blog on or around 11/4/2023; 11/11/2023; 11/18/23; 11/25/23; and 12/2/23. In the event of a tie, more than (5) Classes will be identified as Top Scorers.
Winner Selection and Notification: At the conclusion of the Entry Period all Top Scorers will be entered for a chance to win. (1) Top Scorer will be randomly selected and notified within (1) week of the conclusion of the Challenge via email, Facebook or Instagram.
Prize: 1,000 KIND bars (with an estimated retail value of $500.00) and a $1,000 donation.
Sponsor: The KIND Foundation, Inc., 3 Times Square, Floor 12, New York, NY 10036.